Reluctant Readers

I was inspired this morning by a post by my friend Tammy at The Resourceful Apple, she wrote a wonderful post about her boys and encouraging them to LOVE reading. I have two children in my house. Both are complete opposites:


This is one:
This is the other:


You can see where this is headed....he never wants to read. I have to beg him. Even if it is nonfiction and on a topic like soccer that he loves, he asks "How much longer." "Am I done yet?" It is a constant struggle. But one thing I have found he will willingly read is a magazine!


He especially loves Sports Illustrated Kids and any animal magazines. The benefit for me is two fold....I get the magazines for my family and then I take them to school. It's a win-win! My reluctant readers love to read them. It is the first thing my students want to do at "Read to a Partner" time. 

I know magazines can be pricey so here are some tips for getting magazines for your classroom:

-Unused airline miles....I actually got most of mine through an airline my husband no longer flies on.

-Fundraisers, another way I got a few subscriptions. I am helping out my daughters chorus program and getting magazines for school at the same time.

-Parent or PTA donations. Don't forget to put magazines on your back-to-school wishlists.

-Maybe your own children can get them as gifts from grandparents? (Our American Girl subscription is from Grandma)

-Samples...requests samples from companies. Many including National Geographic Kids have great websites to visit too!

When you are thinking about getting kids reading this summer, don't forget that magazines are a great way (and a fun way) to sneak in some reading time.


post signature

1 comment

  1. Love it Deanna! The boys in my class are the same way and LOVE all my magazines! Another great place to get cheap subscriptions is... Living Social and Groupon! I always get year long subscriptions for $5-$10 :o)

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top